Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

7 worlds, 1 Planet - David Attenborough

While I was watching Sir David Attenboroughs documentary "7 worlds, 1 planet" one scene really hit me.

It showed the Albatross, a bird I had heard of, but never really looked into. They are great, beautiful birds that live on the tall ledges of rocky mountains that sit over the sea. The episode was mainly about how they are affected by climate change, especially their chicks. 
You see, Albatross can't detect which chick is theirs by smell, sight, or calls. The only way they can tell which chick is theirs is if it's in their nest. If it's to the side of it, and not on the nest, then the parents don't realize it's theirs.
Climate change is rising the sea levels, and wind levels, this means while both of the chicks parents are gone to fetch food for a good few days, the weak chick has to stay in it's nest while the wind rages. Obviously almost all chicks blow out and don't survive, and even if they do, they have to climb back up onto the nest or they while starve or freeze.
Image result for albatross with chick

5 comments:

  1. Hey again, I love this post because it is about Albatross, they are such incredible birds who have the most incredible life. Did you know Toroa is the Maori word for Albatross?
    Mrs D :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora again, and thanks again for commenting. I was actually shocked when I did a bit more research and found out that the Toroa was.. well, the Albatross. I'd never had guessed, some of the types look so pale and scrawny, and some look like giant ancient birds I'd only ever heard of in stories about the Haast's eagle.

      Delete
  2. Hey Isabella,
    Love coming on and looking at your blog and everything you have been up to... was hard to pick one post to comment on! I chose this as I love the Albatross. Have you ever been to Dunedin and driven out the Albatross Colony? It is simply amazing to see these massive, majestic birds fly around over top of you and it gives you real perspective of their wing span. I was so sad to see photos of how much they are being challenged with the litter of plastic. One was even found with a stomach full of it :( Mrs O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs Osborne, thanks for commenting! I had never heard of that place until now, but that is honestly the number one place I want to go now! (Of course after this whole corona stuff is over). I love birds and are so fascinated by them, especially the bigger ones! It was so heartbreaking watching the part in Davids documentary.. and this is all because of climate change and our waste :'(

      Delete
  3. Hello Isabella your brother here Anyways i Really love this report beacuse i love Birds! this is amazing Report Keep it Up!!!!! :]

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post